-   -   Excel Problems (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/124472-excel-problems.html)

Stargazer980

Excel Problems

I am using previously saved spread sheets in Excel. Any time I enter a number
I have to put .00 behind it to display the number correctly otherwise if I
type the year 2007 it ends up as (20.07).

I am taking all the setting back to default and would like to know how to
prevent this from happening again without defaulting everything again.

Dave F

Excel Problems

Perhaps whoever created the spreadsheet applied a custom number format to it.

Does the same problem occur if you create a brand new spreadsheet?

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Stargazer980" wrote:

I am using previously saved spread sheets in Excel. Any time I enter a number
I have to put .00 behind it to display the number correctly otherwise if I
type the year 2007 it ends up as (20.07).

I am taking all the setting back to default and would like to know how to
prevent this from happening again without defaulting everything again.

kassie

Excel Problems

Click on Tools, Options, select Edit tab, untick fixed decimal, OK out
--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman

"Stargazer980" wrote:

I am using previously saved spread sheets in Excel. Any time I enter a number
I have to put .00 behind it to display the number correctly otherwise if I
type the year 2007 it ends up as (20.07).

I am taking all the setting back to default and would like to know how to
prevent this from happening again without defaulting everything again.

Stargazer980

Excel Problems

Yes the problem occurs in new spreadsheets as well. I found the answer with
some more searching and I think what happened is when I downloaded a template
it activated the fixed decimal.