-   -   Remove leading zeros from column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/124379-remove-leading-zeros-column.html)

Rich K.

Remove leading zeros from column

I have a spreadsheet that I populate from an Access lookup. The purchase
order from Access is 10 digits, with two leading zeros. I cut and paste into
my Excel 2003 spreadsheet. Since my worksheet is shared, I loose the box
that allows me to convert the text to number, threby dropping the leading
zeroes, which is what I want.

So I have to double-click each purchase order number cell to get rid of the
leading zeroes. I have looked at various posts, found some suggestions, but
not sure how to apply them. I am not too good at macros or VB. I used =--A1
but not sure how to get the result back to the original cell.

I have anywhere from 10 to 500 entries per day so this can be somewhat time
consuming.

I appreciate any suggestions from the group.

pinmaster

Remove leading zeros from column

Hi,

Try this: type the number 1 in a blank cell then copy it, next select your
data, Paste Special and select "Multiply" hit OK.

HTH
Jean-Guy

"Rich K." wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I populate from an Access lookup. The purchase
order from Access is 10 digits, with two leading zeros. I cut and paste into
my Excel 2003 spreadsheet. Since my worksheet is shared, I loose the box
that allows me to convert the text to number, threby dropping the leading
zeroes, which is what I want.

So I have to double-click each purchase order number cell to get rid of the
leading zeroes. I have looked at various posts, found some suggestions, but
not sure how to apply them. I am not too good at macros or VB. I used =--A1
but not sure how to get the result back to the original cell.

I have anywhere from 10 to 500 entries per day so this can be somewhat time
consuming.

I appreciate any suggestions from the group.

Rich K.

Remove leading zeros from column

Thanks for the idea - seems to work fine. Will try to come up with a macro
to make this automatic.