-   -   Stopping display of "FALSE" (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/123995-stopping-display-false.html)

vinnie123

Stopping display of "FALSE"

I'm sure it is a really straightforward problem.

I have a sheet with a lot of data generated form formulas, mainly
VLOOKUP and IF with output being whole numbers. How can I stop the word
"FALSE" from appearing in cells with no valid data, just leaving those
cells blank.

Regards, Vinnie.

kassie

Stopping display of "FALSE"

Normally, you add an additional IF to your formula, to test for this condition.

Something like =IF(A1="","",A1*B1)
=IF(A1="","",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:D250,3,FALSE)
or something to that effect. It all depends on what it is you want to block
out. I suggest you post your VLOOKUP formula, then we can assist you.
--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman

"vinnie123" wrote:

I'm sure it is a really straightforward problem.

I have a sheet with a lot of data generated form formulas, mainly
VLOOKUP and IF with output being whole numbers. How can I stop the word
"FALSE" from appearing in cells with no valid data, just leaving those
cells blank.

Regards, Vinnie.

Sloth

Stopping display of "FALSE"

normally FALSE only appears with an IF function that has no value in the
FALSE section. Add something like this...

=IF(condition,value_if_true,"")
or
=IF(condition,value_if_true," ")

Some people like the space and others like the blank text. Either way the
result will be a seemingly empty cell. Be careful though as neither will
return TRUE with the ISBLANK function.