-   -   formatting Cells for # sign (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/123993-formatting-cells-sign.html)

gevew

formatting Cells for # sign

I am working in a spreadsheet that contains Purchase Order Numbers and would
like to enter the PO # as just the number (ie: 142) and have the # sign
appear before the number (like with happens when you format for $. Is there
a way to do this. I have tried to create my own style but can't get it to
work.

Dave Peterson

formatting Cells for # sign

You could use a custom format of:

\#General

Select the range
format|cells|Number tab|custom category.

Or
\#0000000000
if you have to have 10 digits with leading 0's (say)

--

Dave Peterson

max power

formatting Cells for # sign

go to format cells then under the number tab select custom and type this into
the text line

regards max