-   -   Compare Two Numbers, See if a third cell stays between the first (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/123900-compare-two-numbers-see-if-third-cell-stays-between-first.html)

rocks256

Compare Two Numbers, See if a third cell stays between the first

I want to put two numbers in separate cell. Then I would like to see if a
third cell
stays between the first two cells. If it does not, then I would like to be
notified,
(warning) in some way.
p.s. I am NOT an excel beginner. I use formulas all the time.

RichardSchollar

Compare Two Numbers, See if a third cell stays between the first

Assuming boundary numbers in A1 and A2 and he third number in A3 then
maybe in another cell:

=IF(AND(A3=MIN(A1:A2),A3<=MAX(A1:A2)),"","Out of bounds!")

Hope this is the kind of thing you wanted.

rocks256 wrote:

I want to put two numbers in separate cell. Then I would like to see if a
third cell
stays between the first two cells. If it does not, then I would like to be
notified,
(warning) in some way.
p.s. I am NOT an excel beginner. I use formulas all the time.

Sean Timmons

Compare Two Numbers, See if a third cell stays between the first

OK, so if the cells to evaluate are A1 and A2, and the test cell is A3, how's
this?

=if(OR(AND(A1A3,A2<A3),AND(A1<A3,A2A3)),"Warning ","")

"rocks256" wrote:

I want to put two numbers in separate cell. Then I would like to see if a
third cell
stays between the first two cells. If it does not, then I would like to be
notified,
(warning) in some way.
p.s. I am NOT an excel beginner. I use formulas all the time.

pinmaster

Compare Two Numbers, See if a third cell stays between the first

Hi,

I would use conditional formatting to flag the cell red (or any color) when
the value is outside the accepted range. Say that the first 2 cells are A1,
B1, and C1 is the cell to watch then in conditional formatting use "formula
is" and this formula: OR(C1<A1,C1B1) choose your format and click ok.

HTH
Jean-Guy

"rocks256" wrote:

I want to put two numbers in separate cell. Then I would like to see if a
third cell
stays between the first two cells. If it does not, then I would like to be
notified,
(warning) in some way.
p.s. I am NOT an excel beginner. I use formulas all the time.

[email protected]

Compare Two Numbers, See if a third cell stays between the first

Hello,

I suggest conditional formats on both the boundary cells and the third
cell.
Highlight third cell's background green if its value is within
boundaries.
Highlight a boundary cell's background red if third cell exceeds its
limit.

HTH,
Bernd