-   -   Rounding up to nearest 500 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/123741-rounding-up-nearest-500-a.html)

Heather

Rounding up to nearest 500

Call me crazy, but I have read every rounding question and answer and I
cannot get Excel to round up to the nearest 500.

IE: 525446 needs to be 525500

Can anyone help! Heather

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Rounding up to nearest 500

Hi Heather! I'd be happy to help you with rounding up to the nearest 500 in Excel.

One way to do this is by using the
Code:

MROUND
function. Here are the steps:
  1. In a new cell, enter the number you want to round up to the nearest 500 (e.g. 525446).
  2. In another cell, enter the formula "
    Code:

    =MROUND(A1,500)
    " (assuming your number is in cell A1).
  3. Press enter and the rounded up number should appear (e.g. 525500).

Another way to do this is by using the
Code:

ROUNDUP
function in combination with some simple math. Here are the steps:
  1. In a new cell, enter the number you want to round up to the nearest 500 (e.g. 525446).
  2. In another cell, enter the formula "
    Code:

    =ROUNDUP(A1/500,0)*500
    " (assuming your number is in cell A1).
  3. Press enter and the rounded up number should appear (e.g. 525500).

Teethless mama

Rounding up to nearest 500

=ROUNDUP(A1,-2)

"Heather" wrote:

Call me crazy, but I have read every rounding question and answer and I
cannot get Excel to round up to the nearest 500.

IE: 525446 needs to be 525500

Can anyone help! Heather

Elkar

Rounding up to nearest 500

Try this:

=ROUNDUP(A1/500,0)*500

HTH,
Elkar

"Heather" wrote:

Call me crazy, but I have read every rounding question and answer and I
cannot get Excel to round up to the nearest 500.

IE: 525446 needs to be 525500

Can anyone help! Heather

David Biddulph

Rounding up to nearest 500

Yes, I'll call you crazy!

=CEILING(A1,500)
--
David Biddulph

"Heather" wrote in message
Call me crazy, but I have read every rounding question and answer and I
cannot get Excel to round up to the nearest 500.

IE: 525446 needs to be 525500

Can anyone help! Heather

[email protected]

Rounding up to nearest 500

Teethless mama wrote:
=ROUNDUP(A1,-2)

That rounds up to the nearest __100__, not nearest 500 except by
coincidence. It works with the OP's example (525446). But
roundup(525321,-2) is 525300, not 525500.

That might, indeed, what the OP meant. But....

"Heather" wrote apparently:
Call me crazy, but I have read every rounding question and answer and I
cannot get Excel to round up to the nearest 500.
IE: 525446 needs to be 525500

Are you sure that is what you really want? Be sure to test any
solution offered with a variety of numbers. For example:

=500*roundup(525446/500, 0)

yields 525500, as you wish. But:

=500*roundup(525501/500, 0)

yields 526000. That is what "roundup to the nearest 500" means.

David Biddulph

Rounding up to nearest 500

wrote in message
ups.com...
Teethless mama wrote:
=ROUNDUP(A1,-2)

That rounds up to the nearest __100__, not nearest 500 except by
coincidence. It works with the OP's example (525446).

But roundup(525321,-2) is 525300, not 525500.

It actually gives 525400, but we know what you mean. :-)
--
David Biddulph

dribler2

Rounding up to nearest 500

maybe for both positive and negative rounded to 500.

=SIGN(A1)*CEILING(ABS(A1),500)

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Yes, I'll call you crazy!

=CEILING(A1,500)
--
David Biddulph

"Heather" wrote in message
Call me crazy, but I have read every rounding question and answer and I
cannot get Excel to round up to the nearest 500.

IE: 525446 needs to be 525500

Can anyone help! Heather

daddylonglegs

Rounding up to nearest 500

You can do that without ABS.....

=CEILING(A1,SIGN(A1)*500)

"dribler2" wrote:

maybe for both positive and negative rounded to 500.

=SIGN(A1)*CEILING(ABS(A1),500)

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Yes, I'll call you crazy!

=CEILING(A1,500)
--
David Biddulph

"Heather" wrote in message
Call me crazy, but I have read every rounding question and answer and I
cannot get Excel to round up to the nearest 500.

IE: 525446 needs to be 525500

Can anyone help! Heather

[email protected]

Rounding up to nearest 500