-   -   formatting - aligning decimal points (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/123366-formatting-aligning-decimal-points.html)

Emily

formatting - aligning decimal points

Does anyone know the best/most efficient way to customize the number formats
such that you can align the decimal point in a series of numbers in a column
where some numbers use a currency sign and some do not while using a
non-fixed-width font?

Thanks!

Jim Cone

formatting - aligning decimal points

An underscore followed by a character creates a space the width of that
character. _$
or
Some combinations of ??.?? will align decimal points.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Emily"
wrote in message
Does anyone know the best/most efficient way to customize the number formats
such that you can align the decimal point in a series of numbers in a column
where some numbers use a currency sign and some do not while using a
non-fixed-width font?
Thanks!

Emily

formatting - aligning decimal points

Thanks, Jim, for your reply (and happy holidays!). I think that i am not
familiar enough with the combination of characters to do this right as I gave
it a try and I wasn't successful.