-   -   SEARCH COPY OF TEXT (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/12304-search-copy-text.html)

LinzNac

SEARCH COPY OF TEXT

We have an excel spreadsheet with names and addresses in columns On 3
different worksheets. Is there a way to have excel search the doc for same
entire data. ex:
Jane Doe
Joe Davis
Jane Doe _ Exel would see that and stop since there is a Jane Doe already
entered?
Please help I really don't want to ctrl -f 380 times to make sure..
Thanks to anyone that replies

Dave Peterson

So you have some kind of cell that's used for data entry and you want to check
if that name appears in any of those other 3 lists?

If I used A1 on Sheet1 as my data entry cell, I could put this in B1:

=if((countif(sheet2!a:a,a1)+countif(sheet3!a:a,a1) +countif(sheet4!a:a,a1))0,
"Already exists!","Ok to use")

But I'm not sure what you're really looking for....

--

Dave Peterson