-   -   excel help (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/122960-excel-help.html)

[email protected]

excel help

This is driving me nuts...what am I doing wrong??!! I created a
spreadsheet to keep track of personal budgeting info. When I type a
16-digit credit card account number into a cell and then hit "Enter",
the last digit of my number automatically changes to a zero (0). Any
advice?? Thnx!

kassie

excel help

That is Excel for you. Do you want this card number as a number, or as text?
If you type it as 1234 1243 1234 1243, you will see all the digits, provided
your column width is properly set. You do not want to do calculations on the
card number, so inserting it as text in this manner, overcomes the limitation
on numbers

--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman

" wrote:

This is driving me nuts...what am I doing wrong??!! I created a
spreadsheet to keep track of personal budgeting info. When I type a
16-digit credit card account number into a cell and then hit "Enter",
the last digit of my number automatically changes to a zero (0). Any
advice?? Thnx!

Geoff Ness

excel help

Excel's number precision is limited to 15 digits, so the last digit is
simply rounded to accommodate that. You could try formatting the cell as
text, or keeping it general format and placing spaces or hyphens between
the groups of 4 digits.