-   -   Cell reference (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/122602-cell-reference.html)

Pete Elbert

Cell reference

Should be a simple answer, but cannot figure it out. Column A1:A10 shows
1,2,3,4...10 respectively. Column B has text in each cell adjacent to
1,2,3,4...10. If a cell in column B has no text, I want the adjacent cell in
column A to show no number at all. I want the cell to be blank. But if there
is text that goes back into the cell, I want it to reflect the 1,2,3,4...(the
number it should be). Hope it makes sense. Thanks again.

Gary''s Student

Cell reference

Use conditional formatting

Set the conditional format of cell A1 to Formula Is:
=ISBLANK(B1)

and pick a font color that matches the backgrouind color.

If the cell in column B is empty, the value in column A will apear to vanish!
--
Gary's Student

"Pete Elbert" wrote:

Should be a simple answer, but cannot figure it out. Column A1:A10 shows
1,2,3,4...10 respectively. Column B has text in each cell adjacent to
1,2,3,4...10. If a cell in column B has no text, I want the adjacent cell in
column A to show no number at all. I want the cell to be blank. But if there
is text that goes back into the cell, I want it to reflect the 1,2,3,4...(the
number it should be). Hope it makes sense. Thanks again.

David Biddulph

Cell reference

In A1 use the formula =IF(B1="","",ROW()) and copy down.
--
David Biddulph

"Pete Elbert" wrote in message
Should be a simple answer, but cannot figure it out. Column A1:A10 shows
1,2,3,4...10 respectively. Column B has text in each cell adjacent to
1,2,3,4...10. If a cell in column B has no text, I want the adjacent cell
in
column A to show no number at all. I want the cell to be blank. But if
there
is text that goes back into the cell, I want it to reflect the
1,2,3,4...(the
number it should be). Hope it makes sense. Thanks again.

Pete Elbert

Cell reference

I am sure that this would do the trick, however, in an earlier posting, today
I am trying to accomplish maybe something way out of my reach. Let me run it
by you and maybe you can point me in the right direction. I still want to
not have anything show in A1 if B1 is blank. The formula I have in there now
is =IF(B1=FALSE,IF(B1=FALSE,Z7,0),"1"). However in C1 I have a formula
=A1&","&A2&","&A3&","&A4&"" This seems to be working fine except when the
cell is blank it leave a 0 in C1 (whichever 1 through 4 is blank in column
A). Any thoughts?

"Pete Elbert" wrote:

Should be a simple answer, but cannot figure it out. Column A1:A10 shows
1,2,3,4...10 respectively. Column B has text in each cell adjacent to
1,2,3,4...10. If a cell in column B has no text, I want the adjacent cell in
column A to show no number at all. I want the cell to be blank. But if there
is text that goes back into the cell, I want it to reflect the 1,2,3,4...(the
number it should be). Hope it makes sense. Thanks again.

Max

Cell reference

"Pete Elbert" wrote:
.. However in C1 I have a formula

For an automated neater display, put instead in C1:
=SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(A1&" "&A2&" "&A3&" "&A4)," ",",")
--
Max
Singapore