-   -   Using autofilter, how do I enter several random postcodesinto 'co. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/1224-using-autofilter-how-do-i-enter-several-random-postcodesinto-co.html)

novice

Using autofilter, how do I enter several random postcodesinto 'co.

I have a range of random postcodes and want to filter some out. Using
Autofilter, I want to enter more than one postcode into 'contains': what
symbol do I use for 'and'? All I seem to be able to do is enter one postcode
in the first box and one in the other. 'Greater than' or 'less than' won't
work because I have 2-4, 6-7, 9-11 etc. You may gather that I'm not an
expert...would be grateful for any help!

JE McGimpsey

The Autofilter criteria boxes only accept one criterion each, there's no
symbol for expanding that.

Check out Advanced Filter in XL Help, and see Debra Dalgleish's site:

http://contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html

In article ,
novice wrote:

I have a range of random postcodes and want to filter some out. Using
Autofilter, I want to enter more than one postcode into 'contains': what
symbol do I use for 'and'? All I seem to be able to do is enter one postcode
in the first box and one in the other. 'Greater than' or 'less than' won't
work because I have 2-4, 6-7, 9-11 etc. You may gather that I'm not an
expert...would be grateful for any help!

Dave Peterson

Just another way...

If the list is large or changes often, sometimes I'll put it on another
worksheet.

Then I'll use another column in my filtered range.

=if(isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0)),"Yes","No")

Then filter on that helper column.

--

Dave Peterson

[email protected]

Thanks anyway

novice wrote:

I have a range of random postcodes and want to filter some out. Using
Autofilter, I want to enter more than one postcode into 'contains': what
symbol do I use for 'and'? All I seem to be able to do is enter one postcode
in the first box and one in the other. 'Greater than' or 'less than' won't
work because I have 2-4, 6-7, 9-11 etc. You may gather that I'm not an
expert...would be grateful for any help!

[email protected]

Unfortunately, advanced filter's a bit beyond me, so, without a whole load
of study, I'll just have to go through the list and hide manually for now

Thanks anyway

novice wrote:

I have a range of random postcodes and want to filter some out. Using
Autofilter, I want to enter more than one postcode into 'contains': what
symbol do I use for 'and'? All I seem to be able to do is enter one postcode
in the first box and one in the other. 'Greater than' or 'less than' won't
work because I have 2-4, 6-7, 9-11 etc. You may gather that I'm not an
expert...would be grateful for any help!

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

This suggestion didn't use advanced filtering. It just used another column with
a formula in it. Then use autofilter on that column.