-   -   Sort then lookup (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/122391-sort-then-lookup.html)

Steve

Sort then lookup

I am trying to create a lookup function that locates the max value in
column A and then identifies the value in the same row of column B. But
the trick is that I need the max value in column A that has a value in
the same row as column B that is greater than zero. So there are 2
rules that need to be met in the lookup function.

A B

2.89 -206,072,627.00
3.08 -173,714,739.00
13.52 -183,189,686.00
15.50 -149,160,742.00
43.84 -32,308,509.00
357,778,994.23 10,251,638.00
359,474,629.25 0.00

In the example above I would be trying to capture the value
10,251,638.00 via some lookup function.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

RagDyeR

Sort then lookup

Try this *array* formula:

=LOOKUP((MAX(IF(B1:B7<0,A1:A7))),A1:B7)

--
Array formulas must be entered with CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of
the regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

RD

oups.com...