-   -   Calculating sum based on value in adjacent column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/122320-calculating-sum-based-value-adjacent-column.html)

[email protected]

Calculating sum based on value in adjacent column

Hi, I'm trying to find the right function to achieve the following
objective.

I have two columns, each about fifty rows long. One is a list of names:
there are only eight different names, each of which occurs multiple
times. The adjacent column contains a list of numerical values. What I
want to do is to find the total of all the numerical values next to a
particular name - for example the total of all the sales figures
achieved by Jane.

I've been trying to do this with the IF function, but I don't think
this is going to work. There must be another function or technique
which I'm missing. Sorry if it's a FAQ, I couldn't find anything on it.

RichardSchollar

Calculating sum based on value in adjacent column

Hi Martin

You can use SUMIF:

=SUMIF(A1:A50,"Jane",B1:B50)

assuming that A1:A50 holds the reps Name and B1:B50 holds Sales
Generated.

Hope this helps!

Richard

wrote:

Hi, I'm trying to find the right function to achieve the following
objective.

I have two columns, each about fifty rows long. One is a list of names:
there are only eight different names, each of which occurs multiple
times. The adjacent column contains a list of numerical values. What I
want to do is to find the total of all the numerical values next to a
particular name - for example the total of all the sales figures
achieved by Jane.

I've been trying to do this with the IF function, but I don't think
this is going to work. There must be another function or technique
which I'm missing. Sorry if it's a FAQ, I couldn't find anything on it.

bigwheel

Calculating sum based on value in adjacent column

use SUMIF e.g. =SUMIF(A1:A50,"Jane",B1:B50)

bigwheel wrote:
use SUMIF e.g. =SUMIF(A1:A50,"Jane",B1:B50)

Many thanks bigwheel and Richard, that's what I needed.