-   -   stop automation to date field (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/122306-stop-automation-date-field.html)

Melissa

stop automation to date field

I have formatted cell A1 to be Custom category, type dd-mm. Then I typed in
1-12 and cell A1 displays 01-12. However, in the formula (fx) bar, it shows
01/12/2006. I don't want A1 to contain /2006 as I want to concatenate this
with another cell containing the text "/2007" and other year values. How can
I do this?

Thanks!

RichardSchollar

stop automation to date field

Hi Melissa

One way to avoid this would be to format the cell as Text (in which
case what you type is what you get) - you'll then be able to perform
concatentaions as required. The problem that you've observed results
from Excel interpreting what you type in as a date in the current year,
and to use "ddmm" formatting you need to have a valid date (hence,
Excel is being 'helpful' in this respect).

Hope this helps!

Richard

Melissa wrote:

I have formatted cell A1 to be Custom category, type dd-mm. Then I typed in
1-12 and cell A1 displays 01-12. However, in the formula (fx) bar, it shows
01/12/2006. I don't want A1 to contain /2006 as I want to concatenate this
with another cell containing the text "/2007" and other year values. How can
I do this?

Thanks!

Melissa

stop automation to date field

Hi Richard,
the problem with formatting as Text is that I can't do a fill-series for the
whole month... sigh... isn't there a way to just turn off the automation?

Melissa wrote:

I have formatted cell A1 to be Custom category, type dd-mm. Then I typed in
1-12 and cell A1 displays 01-12. However, in the formula (fx) bar, it shows
01/12/2006. I don't want A1 to contain /2006 as I want to concatenate this
with another cell containing the text "/2007" and other year values. How can
I do this?

Thanks!

Bob Phillips

stop automation to date field

Enter it as say

=ROW(A1)&"-12"

This will allow you to fill-down nicely.

--
---
HTH

Bob