-   -   Conditional Formating based on a different cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/122088-conditional-formating-based-different-cell.html)

Zsolt Szabó

Conditional Formating based on a different cell

Hi! I have two cells : A1 and E1. If I type any stock symbol into A1, I like
to change the text color in E1.
--
Many thanks for your help in advance. Have a wonderful day!
Zsolt

SteveW

Conditional Formating based on a different cell

in E1, use the formula form of the Conditional Format

=if(A1...,True,False)
The format you require will be set if the result is True
This can be reduced to =(A1=...), but it's still basically an IF()

Steve

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 20:42:01 -0000, Zsolt Szabó
wrote:

Hi! I have two cells : A1 and E1. If I type any stock symbol into A1, I
like
to change the text color in E1.

Gord Dibben

Conditional Formating based on a different cell

You can format E1 based on content of A1

Select E1 and FormatCFFormula is =A1="text"

But.....you say "any symbol"

How will Excel know what is a symbol?

Maybe any text that is not a number?

CFFormula is: =NOT(ISNUMBER(A1))