-   -   Scientific notation in text cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/121834-scientific-notation-text-cells.html)

miles

Scientific notation in text cells

I have been given an excel file with 16 digit account numbers that need
modification. I am running up against the 15 digit precision limit. Is there
any way to change the format for these cells to text without defaulting to
scientific notation (eg 2.1761E+15)?

--
milesd

Gary''s Student

Scientific notation in text cells

start the number with an apostrophe (single quote)
--
Gary's Student

"miles" wrote:

I have been given an excel file with 16 digit account numbers that need
modification. I am running up against the 15 digit precision limit. Is there
any way to change the format for these cells to text without defaulting to
scientific notation (eg 2.1761E+15)?

--
milesd

Gord Dibben

Scientific notation in text cells

F2 and precede with an apostrophe

This will change them to text without the SN

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:04:01 -0800, miles
wrote:

I have been given an excel file with 16 digit account numbers that need
modification. I am running up against the 15 digit precision limit. Is there
any way to change the format for these cells to text without defaulting to
scientific notation (eg 2.1761E+15)?

miles

Scientific notation in text cells

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping for a way to change a whole column
at once. I figured it out:
Highlight the column. From the Data drop down menu click on €śText to
Columns€ť. This will open a €śConvert Text to Columns Wizard€ť. Click on Next
until you reach Step 3. In the upper right of the window there will be a box
called €śColumn data format€ť. Change from General to Text.

--
milesd