-   -   Connecting an excel spreadsheet to a generic letter in Word (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/121681-connecting-excel-spreadsheet-generic-letter-word.html)

Christine

Connecting an excel spreadsheet to a generic letter in Word

I have a form in Excel used for product requests. I also have a generic
letter in Word that is sent out with the product request. The only change in
the letter is the name of the employee who made the request. Is it possible
to connect these two items so that when I enter the information in the Excel
form that the name is changed in the letter and printed when I print Excel
form?

Gord Dibben

Connecting an excel spreadsheet to a generic letter in Word

The normal method is to use Word for the mailmerge using Excel as the database.

For help on Word mail merge using Excel or Access as the data source.

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMe...AMailMerge.htm

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMe...DataSource.htm

You can use Excel alone.

See John Walkenbach's site for more info and a workbook.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 13:43:01 -0800, Christine
wrote:

I have a form in Excel used for product requests. I also have a generic
letter in Word that is sent out with the product request. The only change in
the letter is the name of the employee who made the request. Is it possible
to connect these two items so that when I enter the information in the Excel
form that the name is changed in the letter and printed when I print Excel
form?

Trevor Shuttleworth

Connecting an excel spreadsheet to a generic letter in Word

Start in Word and choose Tools | Letters and Mailings | Mail Merge and pick
the letter option. Then, Start from an Existing Document ... choose your
generic letter ... and, well you need to start following the wizard from
here.

Regards

Trevor