-   -   Search column and move text formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/12124-search-column-move-text-formula.html)

tommy

Search column and move text formula

I am trying to collate results from an online questionnaire.

I have a list of all possible field names in column A.

I then import the results of a submitted questionnaire - these come in 2
columns and I place them in C and D. D cotains the data/responses and C is
the corresponding field name. Unfortunately questionnaire fields that are not
answered do not produce anything in column C (ie return no field name) thus I
need to match up the data in D with the corresponding field in A.

The only was I can see doing this is to devise a formula that searches
column A for the fieldname in say C1 and then copies the data from D1 to
B(number) i.e. adjacent to the correct fieldname in A.

The formula would then be run through column C.

Any help? Thanks to those suggestions earlier... I felt a little further
explanation was required!

Regards,

Tom