-   -   Grid Lines (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/121162-grid-lines.html)

Mike F

Grid Lines

Is there a way to insert and print horizontal lines every nth (5th or 10th,
for example) row to use simply as a guide to reading across a long row of
data? I don't want grid lines, where every row appears underlined. I would
like the lines to stay put when I insert rows, to automatically maintain
every nth row.

Elkar

Grid Lines

You can use Conditional formatting for this.

Select your range of data to apply the formatting to
From the Format Menu, select "Conditional Formatting..."
Change "Cell Value Is" to "Formula Is"
Enter the formula: =MOD(ROW(),5)=0
Select your format (shading, borders, etc...)
Click OK

This will apply the formatting to every 5th row. Change the 5 to 10 or
whatever your needs are.

HTH,
Elkar

"Mike F" wrote:

Is there a way to insert and print horizontal lines every nth (5th or 10th,
for example) row to use simply as a guide to reading across a long row of
data? I don't want grid lines, where every row appears underlined. I would
like the lines to stay put when I insert rows, to automatically maintain
every nth row.

Dave H

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike F
Is there a way to insert and print horizontal lines every nth (5th or 10th,
for example) row to use simply as a guide to reading across a long row of
data? I don't want grid lines, where every row appears underlined. I would
like the lines to stay put when I insert rows, to automatically maintain
every nth row.

Mike,

You can format the lines on the first n lines then select these cells and copy. Select the rest of your data then paste special format. I personally like to shade every other line light blue. You choose what is easiest for yourself and your readers. Some printers do better than others with background colors, you might want to consider whether they will be viewing the file or a printed version.

Mike F

Grid Lines

Thank you. Works perfectly.

"Elkar" wrote:

You can use Conditional formatting for this.

Select your range of data to apply the formatting to
From the Format Menu, select "Conditional Formatting..."

"Mike F" wrote:

Is there a way to insert and print horizontal lines every nth (5th or 10th,
for example) row to use simply as a guide to reading across a long row of
data? I don't want grid lines, where every row appears underlined. I would
like the lines to stay put when I insert rows, to automatically maintain
every nth row.

MyVeryOwnSelf

Grid Lines

Is there a way to insert and print horizontal lines every nth (5th or
10th, for example) row to use simply as a guide to reading across a
long row of data? I don't want grid lines, where every row appears
underlined. I would like the lines to stay put when I insert rows, to
automatically maintain every nth row.

One way is to use
Format Conditional Formatting
with a formula like