-   -   How do I show a "0" before a series of numbers? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/121154-how-do-i-show-0-before-series-numbers.html)

Caryn Frank

How do I show a "0" before a series of numbers?

In excel I am trying to type 0123 but the 0 is not showing - What do I do?

tim m

How do I show a "0" before a series of numbers?

See if this works:

'format'...'cells'...'custom' in the little window below 'Type' put 0###

format the cell 1st and then try typing 123 in the cell

"Caryn Frank" wrote:

In excel I am trying to type 0123 but the 0 is not showing - What do I do?

HALinNY

"Caryn Frank" wrote:

In excel I am trying to type 0123 but the 0 is not showing - What do I do?

You can only show leading zeros in cells that are formatted as text because
leading zeros have no meaning mathematically.

Format the whole column or row as text and then enter whatever you need to.

or

Use a leading apostrophe (aka single quote) before the string with a leading
zero, like this ... '0123

B+
HALinNY

Gord Dibben

How do I show a "0" before a series of numbers?

Caryn

If you need don't need these as numbers for calculations pre-format the cells as
text or precede each number with an apostrophe.

If you need as numbers.....follow Tim's advice.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP