-   -   Calling Column D (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/120681-calling-column-d.html)

Trackeous

Calling Column D

Is there an easier way to write a formula that does the same other than:

=IF(D1<"",D1, IF(D2<"",D2, IF(D3<"",D3, Etc,""))))

so that Excel will display the contents of anything displayed in Column D?
Generally, there should only be one entry in Column D.

Thanks

Trackeous

Calling Column D

Just wanted to let you know that you have answered a question that has
haunted me for over three days. I don't know how many hours I spent working
on the problem and then in one day you here you provided me the information
that I needed.

I will admit that I don't understand the formula, and why if cells above are
blank, the formula says "all cells in column D are empty". Nevertheless, you
provided me something that could far surpass that which I hoped.

My Deepest Thanks,

Scott

"Stefi" wrote:

Try this:
=IF(ISERROR(MATCH("*",D:D,-1)),"all cells in column D are
empty",INDEX(D:D,MATCH("*",D:D,-1)))

Regards,
Stefi

€˛Trackeous€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Thanks for replying, but no cookie yet. Right now, Excel is giving me an
"N/A". I need to do some research on the "Index" to see what it does and how
it works. To bad that I can't use something simple like:

=text(d1:d2000)

Oh well, life is not always that simple, is it?

Thanks again,

Scott

"Stefi" wrote:

If there is only one entry in Column D then

=INDEX(D:D,MATCH("*",D:D,-1))

will return it.

Regards,
Stefi