Old November 28th 06, 12:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how can i change european date format to american

I've been trying to convert my data format from day/month/year to
month/day/year. I have played with the custom feature, the date function,
etc...... i can't get excel to make the proper conversion and could use some
input.
--
phil

Old November 28th 06, 01:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

for whatever reason, that does not work. i've tried it about a dozen times.
i've cut and pasted "values only" to other parts of my spreadsheet thinking
maybe the format was corrupted, but no go. any furthur ideas ?

thanks
--
phil

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Format Cells... Custom m/d/yyyy
--
Gary's Student

Old November 28th 06, 01:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps your dates are text and not dates.

Try DataText to ColumnsNextNextColumn Data FormatDateMDY and Finish.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old November 28th 06, 01:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That did not work either. let me expalin in greater detail. i pulled some
data off a european website. i copy/pasted the data into my excel file. I
suspect when i pasted it i was taking the european date format and pasting as
the default u.s. format. could this be the issue ?

i am about to start pulling my hair out !

thanks
--
phil

Old November 28th 06, 02:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pasting will not change your default format. Also, pasting only stores a value,
it does not apply a format.

Try typing in a date, and then applying the same format to it. If this works, it
means the format you are using is correct, and therefore the problem is your
dates are text, not dates.

Text to columns will solve your problem, if used properly, but if you don't like
that, try creating a helper column with the formula:

=a1+0

That will force excel to convert the date to a serial number, and your format
should work.

Fred

Old November 28th 06, 02:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Send it my email.

Change the at and dot as needed.

Gord

Old November 28th 06, 02:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If your dates are real, which I suspect is not the case, =ISNUMBER(cellref) wil
return TRUE.

If not real....FALSE

Gord