-   -   Linking data and formating between two spreadsheets (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/120015-linking-data-formating-between-two-spreadsheets.html)

Peter Wells

Linking data and formating between two spreadsheets

I'm building a spreadsheet that sums results from a number of other
spreadsheets, my question is how to keep both the data and formatting
synchronized. I've tried using a formula in the destination file to
reference the source and importing with a query - both handle the data values
just fine but do not seem to handle formating, such as font color.

What is the best technique?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Debra Dalgleish

Linking data and formating between two spreadsheets

You can't reference the format of another cell. Perhaps you could use
conditional formatting to apply formats, based on the cell values.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Trackeous

Linking data and formating between two spreadsheets

Peter,

I created multiple files (10 in all) dealing with various aspects of my
budget. On my main budget program, I have a sheet that lists information
from the other sheets. Although I was able to €ślink€ť a cell to another
particular cell from another sheet, I wasnt able to €ślink€ť that cells
format. No biggie though, for on the main sheet I changed the format to the
€ślinked€ť cell and no problems. Sounds complicated, but was EXTREMELY easy (I
only needed to format the cell that I was working on one time).