-   -   Hmm Still stuck (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/119957-hmm-still-stuck.html)

DB

Hmm Still stuck

I have a file on excel that contains many text entries of peoples names.....

A10 has Ken in it
A11 has Bill in it
A12 has Alan in it etc etc etc....

I want to copy these names over to K10
K11
K12..............

The first column is set for text......but i tried the autosum and told it
that K10 = A10,,,,i thought it would just copy the text of the persons name
but it didnt, it just has =SUM(A10) in the cell.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm sure there must be a simple solution but i'm stuck and can't find it.
Can you put me out of my misery and tell me what i'm doing wrong.

Many Many thanks

Dave :))

Pete_UK

Hmm Still stuck

PLEASE, don't post the same question all over the place - I've answered
this in public.excel.

Pete

DB wrote:

I have a file on excel that contains many text entries of peoples names.....

A10 has Ken in it
A11 has Bill in it
A12 has Alan in it etc etc etc....

I want to copy these names over to K10
K11
K12..............

The first column is set for text......but i tried the autosum and told it
that K10 = A10,,,,i thought it would just copy the text of the persons name
but it didnt, it just has =SUM(A10) in the cell.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm sure there must be a simple solution but i'm stuck and can't find it.
Can you put me out of my misery and tell me what i'm doing wrong.

Many Many thanks

Dave :))

DB

Hmm Still stuck

Cheers Pete.....Thats me bollocked....

Thanks

Dave :))

ups.com...

DB wrote:

I have a file on excel that contains many text entries of peoples
names.....

A10 has Ken in it
A11 has Bill in it
A12 has Alan in it etc etc etc....

I want to copy these names over to K10
K11
K12..............

The first column is set for text......but i tried the autosum and told it
that K10 = A10,,,,i thought it would just copy the text of the persons
name
but it didnt, it just has =SUM(A10) in the cell.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm sure there must be a simple solution but i'm stuck and can't find it.
Can you put me out of my misery and tell me what i'm doing wrong.

Many Many thanks

Dave :))

Deepak

Hmm Still stuck

eg.
if in A10 you have Deepak

then in K10 enter "=A10" (without quotes)

"DB" wrote:

Cheers Pete.....Thats me bollocked....

Thanks

Dave :))

ups.com...

DB wrote:

I have a file on excel that contains many text entries of peoples
names.....

A10 has Ken in it
A11 has Bill in it
A12 has Alan in it etc etc etc....

I want to copy these names over to K10
K11
K12..............

The first column is set for text......but i tried the autosum and told it
that K10 = A10,,,,i thought it would just copy the text of the persons
name
but it didnt, it just has =SUM(A10) in the cell.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm sure there must be a simple solution but i'm stuck and can't find it.
Can you put me out of my misery and tell me what i'm doing wrong.

Many Many thanks

Dave :))

Allllen

Hmm Still stuck

what's wrong with copy, paste? stupid question maybe
--
Allllen

"DB" wrote:

Cheers Pete.....Thats me bollocked....

Thanks

Dave :))

ups.com...

DB wrote:

I have a file on excel that contains many text entries of peoples
names.....

A10 has Ken in it
A11 has Bill in it
A12 has Alan in it etc etc etc....

I want to copy these names over to K10
K11
K12..............

The first column is set for text......but i tried the autosum and told it
that K10 = A10,,,,i thought it would just copy the text of the persons
name
but it didnt, it just has =SUM(A10) in the cell.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm sure there must be a simple solution but i'm stuck and can't find it.
Can you put me out of my misery and tell me what i'm doing wrong.

Many Many thanks

Dave :))

DB

Hmm Still stuck

Copy and paste would take yonks.........I have the work rota on one side of
the screen and I just want a simple.......
name.....duty........each days hours..........copied into a small template
that I later print out and hand out to the workers...

Im 25% done and it is working a treat.....it will take a little while to set
up but once done it'll save hours of work...

Dave :)

"DB" wrote:

Cheers Pete.....Thats me bollocked....

Thanks

Dave :))

ups.com...

DB wrote:

[...]

Fred Smith

Hmm Still stuck

Why does copy/paste take "yonks"? You can copy a virtually unlimited number of
cells in one operation. Or, if you design your spreadsheet properly, copy the
whole column. It's a simple two-step operation -- done in less than 5 seconds.

Fred

"DB" wrote:

Cheers Pete.....Thats me bollocked....

Thanks