-   -   GETPIVOTDATA (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/119798-getpivotdata.html)

Dave F

GETPIVOTDATA

Does anyone have an opinion about the utility of this function? I've just
been handed a spreadsheet with a bunch of pivot tables, and a bunch of
calculations which use the GETPIVOTDATA function.

My take is it's easier just to enter the cell reference of the pivot table
value you want to use in a calculation. Am I missing something here? What
are the advantages, if any, of the GETPIVOTDATA function?

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Bernie Deitrick

GETPIVOTDATA

Dave,

If you change the PT, GETPIVOTDATA will still retrieve the correct data - your cell reference won't.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Dave F" wrote in message
Does anyone have an opinion about the utility of this function? I've just
been handed a spreadsheet with a bunch of pivot tables, and a bunch of
calculations which use the GETPIVOTDATA function.

My take is it's easier just to enter the cell reference of the pivot table
value you want to use in a calculation. Am I missing something here? What
are the advantages, if any, of the GETPIVOTDATA function?

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Dave F

GETPIVOTDATA

Thanks--that's what I thought...

So it's fair to say that GETPIVOTDATA is dynamic, in the sense that using it
with a pivot table whose data is refreshed will insure that calculations
using the pviot table data are updated. Whereas a direct cell reference will
not.

This answers a bunch of questions
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Dave F" wrote in message
Does anyone have an opinion about the utility of this function? I've just
been handed a spreadsheet with a bunch of pivot tables, and a bunch of
calculations which use the GETPIVOTDATA function.

My take is it's easier just to enter the cell reference of the pivot table
value you want to use in a calculation. Am I missing something here? What
are the advantages, if any, of the GETPIVOTDATA function?

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Roger Govier

GETPIVOTDATA

Hi Dave

You can think of GetPivotData as being analogous to Index, Match but you
are giving it Fields to match against as opposed to ranges.

--
Regards

Roger Govier