-   -   Cells widen after saving and reopening file (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/119783-cells-widen-after-saving-reopening-file.html)

Sigi Rindler

Cells widen after saving and reopening file

Excel is driving me crazy after rearranging columns, saving the new
configuration, and then reopening the saved file.

Original situation:
There is a number of columns titled from right to left:
Japanese | English | French | Italian | Dutch | German | Korean |
Chinese | etc.

The columns | Japanese | English | show several thousands of cells. Each
cell of the Japanese text was already translated into English. All cell in
the other columns remain empty. Since I need to translate this text into
German, I want to have the English and German column side by side. There is
no problem to move the columns around so that the screen shows only the
columns for English (left) and German (right) on the screen.
After saving and reopening this new file, the two columns layout is OK, but
each cell has been increased in height from 5 mm to about 20 to 30 mm!

Why that? How to solve the problem and keep the original height of each
cell?

[email protected]

Cells widen after saving and reopening file

I'm not sure if I understand your problem, but if all you want is to
resize the row height, then select all rows that contain data,
right-click on the row index, and select & change row height to desired
size.

Regards,
Steve

Sigi Rindler schrieb:

[...]

Thanks Steve!
I am a happy camper again since it took me just 10 seconds to make the new
formatting stick.

Sigi

oups.com...