-   -   Sorting a column from the last letter or 2 letters of a part numbe (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/119394-sorting-column-last-letter-2-letters-part-numbe.html)

Brian Denny

Sorting a column from the last letter or 2 letters of a part numbe

Anyone have any ideas on how to sort a column from the last letter or two
letters of a part number rather than the first. Sounds crazy, but it would
save me hours of work monthly if I could figure this one out.

Thank you.

Jon Peltier

Sorting a column from the last letter or 2 letters of a part numbe

Use a helper column that uses a formula like =RIGHT(B2,2) to contain the
last two characters, and sort on this column.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Brian Denny" <Brian wrote in message
Anyone have any ideas on how to sort a column from the last letter or two
letters of a part number rather than the first. Sounds crazy, but it
would
save me hours of work monthly if I could figure this one out.

Thank you.

daddylonglegs

Sorting a column from the last letter or 2 letters of a part numbe

Try extracting the last letter or letters to another column, e.g. if your
data is in column A then use this formula in B1 to extract last two letters
and copy down

=RIGHT(A1,2)

then sort both columns based on column B

"Brian Denny" wrote:

Anyone have any ideas on how to sort a column from the last letter or two
letters of a part number rather than the first. Sounds crazy, but it would
save me hours of work monthly if I could figure this one out.

Thank you.

Brian Denny

Sorting a column from the last letter or 2 letters of a part n

Thanks Jon, I'll do that!

Brian Denny

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Use a helper column that uses a formula like =RIGHT(B2,2) to contain the
last two characters, and sort on this column.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Brian Denny" <Brian wrote in message
Anyone have any ideas on how to sort a column from the last letter or two
letters of a part number rather than the first. Sounds crazy, but it
would
save me hours of work monthly if I could figure this one out.

Thank you.

Brian Denny

Sorting a column from the last letter or 2 letters of a part n

Thank you for your help. Great idea!

Brian Denny