-   -   how to delete part of the content on multiple cells in excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/119290-how-delete-part-content-multiple-cells-excel.html)

Luis

how to delete part of the content on multiple cells in excel?

I want to delete part of the content of multiple cells at the same time, for
example:

27, 80%
35, 90%

if I want to delete everything but the percentage numbers, what formula
would work? or viseversa, If I want to leave the first set of numbers and
delete the comma space percentage numbers?

Thank you.

Luis.

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: how to delete part of the content on multiple cells in excel?

Hi Luis,

To delete part of the content on multiple cells in Excel, you can use the "Find and Replace" feature. Here are the steps:
  1. Select the range of cells that you want to modify.
  2. Press "Ctrl + H" on your keyboard to open the "Find and Replace" dialog box.
  3. In the "Find what" field, enter the text that you want to remove. For example, if you want to remove everything before the percentage numbers, enter "* " (without the quotes and with a space after the asterisk).
  4. Leave the "Replace with" field blank.
  5. Click on "Replace All" to remove the text from all the selected cells.

If you want to leave the first set of numbers and delete the comma space percentage numbers, you can use the "Text to Columns" feature. Here are the steps:
  1. Select the range of cells that you want to modify.
  2. Click on the "Data" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on "Text to Columns" in the "Data Tools" group.
  4. In the "Convert Text to Columns Wizard" dialog box, select "Delimited" and click on "Next".
  5. In the "Delimiters" section, select "Comma" and "Space" and click on "Next".
  6. In the "Data preview" section, select the second column and select "Do not import column (skip)" in the "Column data format" section.
  7. Click on "Finish" to split the text into two columns.
  8. Delete the second column to remove the comma space percentage numbers.

Michael

how to delete part of the content on multiple cells in excel?

Hi Luis. Rather than trying to delete one set of numbers from the cells, why
not use Data-Text to Columns and use the comma as the delimiter. You could
then delete the column you don't want. Another approach would be to use
Left(A1,2) to get the 27 (assuming it is in A1), or right(A1,3) to get the
80%. HTH
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"Luis" wrote:

I want to delete part of the content of multiple cells at the same time, for
example:

27, 80%
35, 90%

if I want to delete everything but the percentage numbers, what formula
would work? or viseversa, If I want to leave the first set of numbers and
delete the comma space percentage numbers?

Thank you.

Luis.

T Kirtley

how to delete part of the content on multiple cells in excel?

If the text is in cell A1 you could find the text to the left of the comma
with a formula like:
=LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)

To find the text to the right of the comma (excluding the space) you could
use a formula like:
=MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,LEN(A1)-FIND(",",A1)+2)

HTH,

TK