-   -   Open an external application (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/119023-open-external-application.html)

PaulW

Open an external application

Within our company we use WRQ Reflections, as part of my job i programme vba
in both excel and Reflections.

I have managed to get Refections to open office applications when run, but i
can figure out the code to open a Reflections session from within Excel.

The extention for the sessions are .r1w

if anyone knows of any code i would be grateful.

Many thanks

Gary''s Student

Open an external application

Something like

Sub Macro1()
x = Shell("cmd.exe /c C:\Userguide.r1w", 1)
Gary's Student

"PaulW" wrote:

Within our company we use WRQ Reflections, as part of my job i programme vba
in both excel and Reflections.

I have managed to get Refections to open office applications when run, but i
can figure out the code to open a Reflections session from within Excel.

The extention for the sessions are .r1w

if anyone knows of any code i would be grateful.

Many thanks

PaulW

Open an external application

Hi Gary,

thanks for the quick responce, all this is doing is opening the MS-DoS
window launching the cmd.exe file within the System32 folder?

Am i missing something?

"PaulW" wrote:

Within our company we use WRQ Reflections, as part of my job i programme vba
in both excel and Reflections.

I have managed to get Refections to open office applications when run, but i
can figure out the code to open a Reflections session from within Excel.

The extention for the sessions are .r1w

if anyone knows of any code i would be grateful.

Many thanks

Gary''s Student

Open an external application

You will need to replace
C:\Userguide.r1w
with your path and file name

This should work if the file associations are correct; that is, if you can
manually open the .r1w file by double-clikcing its icon.
--
Gary's Student

"PaulW" wrote:

Within our company we use WRQ Reflections, as part of my job i programme vba
in both excel and Reflections.

I have managed to get Refections to open office applications when run, but i
can figure out the code to open a Reflections session from within Excel.

The extention for the sessions are .r1w

if anyone knows of any code i would be grateful.

Many thanks

PaulW

Open an external application

I have it working without sub directories ie\ C:\Userguide.r1w but as soon as
i attempt to add folders it wont open ie\ C:\Folder1\Folder2\Userguide.r1w

Can you help

"PaulW" wrote:

Within our company we use WRQ Reflections, as part of my job i programme vba
in both excel and Reflections.

I have managed to get Refections to open office applications when run, but i
can figure out the code to open a Reflections session from within Excel.

The extention for the sessions are .r1w

if anyone knows of any code i would be grateful.

Many thanks

PaulW

Open an external application

Hi Gary,

I've been testing and the code works as long as there are no breaks in the
folder name. Is there any fix to this.

"PaulW" wrote:

Within our company we use WRQ Reflections, as part of my job i programme vba
in both excel and Reflections.

I have managed to get Refections to open office applications when run, but i
can figure out the code to open a Reflections session from within Excel.

The extention for the sessions are .r1w

if anyone knows of any code i would be grateful.

Many thanks

Gary''s Student

Open an external application

Look at:

Sub Macro1()
ChDir ("c:\Documents and Settings\littlegary\Desktop")
x = Shell("cmd.exe /c Hello"" ""there.doc", 1)
End Sub

First, the blanks can be embedded in ChDir
Second, notice the quad-quoting for the file name in the Shell statement

--
Gary''s Student

"PaulW" wrote:

Within our company we use WRQ Reflections, as part of my job i programme vba
in both excel and Reflections.

I have managed to get Refections to open office applications when run, but i
can figure out the code to open a Reflections session from within Excel.

The extention for the sessions are .r1w

if anyone knows of any code i would be grateful.

Many thanks

PaulW

Open an external application

Genius, thats for your help on this gary, much appriciated!!!!!!!

"PaulW" wrote:

Within our company we use WRQ Reflections, as part of my job i programme vba
in both excel and Reflections.

I have managed to get Refections to open office applications when run, but i
can figure out the code to open a Reflections session from within Excel.

The extention for the sessions are .r1w

if anyone knows of any code i would be grateful.

Many thanks

Gary''s Student

Open an external application

You are very welcome !