-   -   How do I fix a circular reference in a financial statement? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/11897-how-do-i-fix-circular-reference-financial-statement.html)

drjayhawk25

How do I fix a circular reference in a financial statement?

I have created a financial statement in an 2003 excell spreadsheet that has
a section where I am listing the last five years of info. I have a form cell
where each statement is referenced by a different form number (i.e. form
1=year one, form 2=year two, etc.). My problem is that I have a number of
circular references that occur whenever I update the form from 1 to 2, 2 to
3, etc. This occurs because in my last five years info section I have five
columns corresponding with whatever form number is put in, and if the form
number matches the column then it floods in the financial info, but if the
number doesn't match, I want the columns to retain whatever values that are
already in them. To do this I had to use an IF statement that tested to see
if the form matched with the column, and if it didn't then the cell should
equal itself. Does anyone know how I can retain the information in the cell
without making the cell equal to itself?