Old November 16th 06, 02:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Default A ? for our Excel Guru's and MVPs

Right Don.........and many times it's not as hard to figure out an Excel
answer to an OP's question, as it is to interpret exactly what the Op is
looking for from their usually "non-excel terminology".

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Don Guillett" wrote:

I also agree and would like to point out that many times there is no
"correct" answer because, as we all know, there are many ways to do the same
thing in Excel. All correct. And, since we are all human, we all make
mistakes. I sometimes catch others mistakes and they catch mine. This is
helpful to all, including you.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Well said. Encapsulates my views, but more eloquently said.

Bob

"Epinn" wrote in message
I am a regular user of this forum and I would like to say something.

When I first started using MS newsgroup(s), I did it through web
interface.
I made a point to rate the answers so as to show my appreciation. One
day,
I realize that most experts, MVP's etc. don't use web interface. So, I do
what the experts do and I have switched to OE, Google etc. From then on,
have stopped rating the answers as there is no way to do it through OE or
Google.

I always believe that the poster is free to choose from the various
solutions suggested by the gurus. He/she is responsible for the
consequence
of his/her decision. Anyone who provides an answer is a volunteer with a
helping heart. I don't pay anyone any money and therefore I don't demand.
Do Excel consultants provide guarantees when clients pay them big money?
am not sure. Outside MS, I constantly find bugs in systems even when I
pay
for service.

About the Excel Help, I have found more mistakes than I want to. I am a
fan
of SUMPRODUCT which is not truly explained in the Help files. If I only
confine myself to the Help files I would have missed out a lot and I mean
lot. Shall we include the SUMPRODUCT paper as part of Excel Help?

I always look for quality and I am happy with the advice and guidance I
get
from this forum. If one expert inadvertently made a typo, someone else
would probably catch it.

I am not sure what you are *truly* after. Life is full of risks.

Off topic - The consumer report says that we shouldn't bother with
extended
*warranty*; it's a waste of money!

I thought I could keep quiet for a few days ......

Epinn

Old November 16th 06, 08:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I want to add something.

Only the person asking the question sees the *entire* picture of his/her own needs (well, I am not surprised if that's not the case sometimes). A lot of times, posters answer questions based on a small piece of the puzzle. Therefore, they shouldn't be responsible for the outcome of anyone's project. The project members are responsible for *testing* the solutions suggested *in depth*.

Let's say someone gave you a wrong answer and your project fell apart and you got fired (God forbid). In what way do you expect your *guarantee* translate to? Sue someone for your loss?

About compatibility with future upgrade, I want to quote what the mutual fund companies always say, "Past performance does not guarantee future results." Maybe I/we should include this disclaimer when I/we answer posts. <g

Although I have a lot of respect for most MVP's, I agree with Bob's view. My understanding is that the award is given based on *past* performance i.e. the performance during the previous year. It is questionable if the MVP will be re-awarded after the current year. There are a few factors that MS considers. If an MVP is not re-awarded as a result of lack of contribution due to time constraint, I don't think his/her expertise/opinion loses value just because MS doesn't *label* him/her as MVP. Also, I have seen MVP's spitting abusive comments in another forum. So, what’s in a name?

All in all, we are responsible for our own action. In closing, I want to quote Shakespeare ……

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other word would smell as sweet."

--From Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2) <<

Epinn

"4pinoy" wrote in message ...

Considering that we are under the Microsoft Forum Domain and as a simple
excel user. I need to know what are the guarantee we can obtain from 3rd
party Add Ins or formula building in standard excel program considering the
following.
1. Excel program always upgrade itself..Will the suggested formula building
thru 3rd party suggestions be guaranteed as integral part of any excel
upgrade?
2. If there are formula suggested under this forum that are not covered by
the Help Files samples and Function description, will this microsoft forum
guarantee the CHECKED MARKS and such checked marks will be integral to all
the succeeding microsoft Upgrades. I am not foolish to obtain any suggestion
even they are CHECKED if these suggestions are not explained or distinguished
precisely by microsoft help files considering the risk in the future that I
may not able to use the old MS files, utilizing unexplained formula
structuring by the excel programmers himself or MS Support files.
I hope you can bother to give comments since excel's future is based on the
present.
thanks for any clear and guaranteed reply..

Old November 20th 06, 09:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

p wrote:
zzzzzzzz?

Handy for forcing a row to the bottom of a sorted list.

Ken Johnson

Old November 21st 06, 11:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Please note that

TryHarder
driller
4pinoy
art

romelsb

are the same person.

Please check out post #9 by Bob

http://groups.google.ca/group/micros...a3b1a3 26bdfc

Epinn

Old November 21st 06, 11:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Epinn,

Best to just ignore them. Responding perpetuates the problem.

Bob

"Epinn" wrote in message
Please note that

TryHarder
driller
4pinoy
art

romelsb

are the same person.

Please check out post #9 by Bob

http://groups.google.ca/group/micros....functions/bro
wse_frm/thread/d93736b818eb1bb9/4cfaa3b1a326bdfc?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#4cfa