-   -   check text color from conditional formatting w/out using VB (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/118345-check-text-color-conditional-formatting-w-out-using-vbulletin.html)

slinger

check text color from conditional formatting w/out using VB

I need a formula that checks the color of text in a cell that was applied
using conditional formatting. Unfortunately I cannot use any VB scripting
since the security policy at my organization will not allow it. I don't even
know if this can be done. If not I will be forced to have a miles long
formula.

If the text of the cells in any of 8 columns is red, then I need to copy
information. The cell text can be either red, green, black, or the cell
could be blank. I will need to ignore blank cells for this formula.

I don't even know where to begin on this one.

Biff

check text color from conditional formatting w/out using VB

Answer this question and then use that answer as the logic of your formula:

Why are the cells red?

Biff

"slinger" wrote in message
I need a formula that checks the color of text in a cell that was applied
using conditional formatting. Unfortunately I cannot use any VB scripting
since the security policy at my organization will not allow it. I don't
even
know if this can be done. If not I will be forced to have a miles long
formula.

If the text of the cells in any of 8 columns is red, then I need to copy
information. The cell text can be either red, green, black, or the cell
could be blank. I will need to ignore blank cells for this formula.

I don't even know where to begin on this one.

Jim Thomlinson

check text color from conditional formatting w/out using VB

You need to replicate the conditional format criteria in a Cell or two...
There is no other way around it other than code. If you do want to
investigate the code option here is a great resource...

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFConditions.html
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"slinger" wrote:

I need a formula that checks the color of text in a cell that was applied
using conditional formatting. Unfortunately I cannot use any VB scripting
since the security policy at my organization will not allow it. I don't even
know if this can be done. If not I will be forced to have a miles long
formula.

If the text of the cells in any of 8 columns is red, then I need to copy
information. The cell text can be either red, green, black, or the cell
could be blank. I will need to ignore blank cells for this formula.

I don't even know where to begin on this one.

slinger

check text color from conditional formatting w/out using VB

I can do that, the problem I run into is then how to ignore the blank cells,
since there may only be three columns filled, or all 8, or any number in
between.