-   -   entering numbers in excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/117769-entering-numbers-excel.html)

vkwd7

entering numbers in excel

when I tried to enter number 123456789101112,the last digit ie 15th digit
changes to 0 instead of 2.It happens with every number with morethan 14
digits.
I tried regional settings which seem ok to me.
Is there a way out to enter number as number without using the text
formatting.
vkwd7

Gary''s Student

entering numbers in excel

Precede the number with a single quote (apostrophy).
--
Gary's Student

"vkwd7" wrote:

when I tried to enter number 123456789101112,the last digit ie 15th digit
changes to 0 instead of 2.It happens with every number with morethan 14
digits.
I tried regional settings which seem ok to me.
Is there a way out to enter number as number without using the text
formatting.
vkwd7

Don Guillett

entering numbers in excel

15 max

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"vkwd7" wrote in message
when I tried to enter number 123456789101112,the last digit ie 15th digit
changes to 0 instead of 2.It happens with every number with morethan 14
digits.
I tried regional settings which seem ok to me.
Is there a way out to enter number as number without using the text
formatting.
vkwd7

Niek Otten

entering numbers in excel

But it will be treated as text. Excel's precision (for numbers, that is) is 15 decimal digits

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Gary''s Student" wrote in message
| Precede the number with a single quote (apostrophy).
| --
| Gary's Student
|

| "vkwd7" wrote:
|
| when I tried to enter number 123456789101112,the last digit ie 15th digit
| changes to 0 instead of 2.It happens with every number with morethan 14
| digits.
| I tried regional settings which seem ok to me.
| Is there a way out to enter number as number without using the text
| formatting.
| vkwd7

Lsm

entering numbers in excel

I have huge spreadsheets that I am importing into excel which contain credit
card numbers (16 digits). Is there any way to force Excel to recognize
these?

Thanks
Lsm

"Don Guillett" wrote:

15 max

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"vkwd7" wrote in message
when I tried to enter number 123456789101112,the last digit ie 15th digit
changes to 0 instead of 2.It happens with every number with morethan 14
digits.
I tried regional settings which seem ok to me.
Is there a way out to enter number as number without using the text
formatting.
vkwd7

Niek Otten

entering numbers in excel

If it is a .csv file, rename it .txt
On importing, you'll get a wizard in which you can specify the field as text

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Lsm" wrote in message ...
|I have huge spreadsheets that I am importing into excel which contain credit
| card numbers (16 digits). Is there any way to force Excel to recognize
| these?
|
| Thanks
| Lsm
|
| "Don Guillett" wrote:
|
| 15 max
|
| --
| Don Guillett
| SalesAid Software
|
| "vkwd7" wrote in message
| when I tried to enter number 123456789101112,the last digit ie 15th digit
| changes to 0 instead of 2.It happens with every number with morethan 14
| digits.
| I tried regional settings which seem ok to me.
| Is there a way out to enter number as number without using the text
| formatting.
| vkwd7

Lsm

entering numbers in excel

Thank you! This did indeed solve the problem. It is a few extra steps for
our employees, but it saves so much more. Thanks again! Has anyone out
there heard about Excel having a way to reduce credit card #s to 4 digits to
solve this problem? A co-worker said she saw this in a help file but then
could not locate it again, but it was written especially to address the
credit card number issue.
--
Lsm