-   -   Adding problem (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/117488-adding-problem.html)

Japhy

Adding problem

hello,
I copied and pasted some data from a web page into an excel ss.
1 column as fractions like:
0.10
0.10
0.20
0.10
0.20

I can't add up the column. I have them formatted as numbers, but
excel doesn't recognize them as such. All attempts to add from this
column equals 0.
Any ideas?
thanks

Teethless mama

Adding problem

Select any blank cell, right clickselect Copyhighlight your data range
right clickPaste specialselect AddOK

"Japhy" wrote:

hello,
I copied and pasted some data from a web page into an excel ss.
1 column as fractions like:
0.10
0.10
0.20
0.10
0.20

I can't add up the column. I have them formatted as numbers, but
excel doesn't recognize them as such. All attempts to add from this
column equals 0.
Any ideas?
thanks

Dallman Ross

Adding problem

In om, Japhy
spake thusly:

I copied and pasted some data from a web page into an excel ss.
1 column as fractions like:
0.10
0.10
0.20
0.10
0.20

I can't add up the column. I have them formatted as numbers, but
excel doesn't recognize them as such.

My guess is, what you copied has whitespace before or after the
numbers. The whitespace (space or tab chars) turns the cell content
into a string instead of a number. You can try using the TRIM,
sUBSTITUTE, or CLEAN function (then copy-and-paste the result as
Special - Values).

-dman-