-   -   Finding the MAX number while considering similar names (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/117433-finding-max-number-while-considering-similar-names.html)

Ninjapowa

Finding the MAX number while considering similar names

Hello!
I have a list of names associated with hours. I want to get the maximum hour
number while adding whatever hours of the same names. Here is an example of a
sheet:

a 2
b 5
a 1
a 6
d 3

Visually, I know my answer is:
9
Because since "a" is the same person, that persons hours gets added. And so
the maximum number is no longer 6, but an addition of all the similar names.
In this case, "a" which gives me 9.

I hope I wasn't too confusing...
thanks in advance for the help!!

Biff

Finding the MAX number while considering similar names

Try this:

=SUMIF(A1:A5,"A",B1:B5)

Biff

"Ninjapowa" wrote in message
Hello!
I have a list of names associated with hours. I want to get the maximum
hour
number while adding whatever hours of the same names. Here is an example
of a
sheet:

a 2
b 5
a 1
a 6
d 3

Visually, I know my answer is:
9
Because since "a" is the same person, that persons hours gets added. And
so
the maximum number is no longer 6, but an addition of all the similar
names.
In this case, "a" which gives me 9.

I hope I wasn't too confusing...
thanks in advance for the help!!

JMB

Finding the MAX number while considering similar names

Perhaps
=MAX(SUMIF(A1:A5,A1:A5,B1:B5))

array entered with Cntrl+Shift+Enter (or you get #VALUE)

"Ninjapowa" wrote:

Hello!
I have a list of names associated with hours. I want to get the maximum hour
number while adding whatever hours of the same names. Here is an example of a
sheet:

a 2
b 5
a 1
a 6
d 3

Visually, I know my answer is:
9
Because since "a" is the same person, that persons hours gets added. And so
the maximum number is no longer 6, but an addition of all the similar names.
In this case, "a" which gives me 9.

I hope I wasn't too confusing...
thanks in advance for the help!!

JMB

Finding the MAX number while considering similar names

small correction - if it's not array entered you get 0 (although normally I
get and have come to expect #VALUE)