-   -   why Excel2000 don't allow to write (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/117096-why-excel2000-dont-allow-write.html)

ldiaz

why Excel2000 don't allow to write

hi all.

I have an 2003 excel sheet where I have protected to allow users to edit
ranges,
it works fine in all computer where are running excel 2003, but in computers
where are running excel2000, it does not allow to write even if the field is
available to write then
appear the message that say:
The cell or chart you are trying to change is protected and therefore
read-only.

but message don't appear in Excel 2003

I have asked MIS to upgrade to office 2003, but if you know another option
to correct this issue, I will appreciate so much.

Thanks
LD--
Lorenzo DÃ*az
Cad Technician

Dave Peterson

why Excel2000 don't allow to write

xl2002 was the first version of excel that allowed this range by range
protection. If you open the workbook in an earlier version, then this feature
doesn't exist.

--

Dave Peterson

ldiaz

why Excel2000 don't allow to write

what do you reccomend me?

LD
--
Lorenzo DÃ*az
Cad Technician

ldiaz wrote:

hi all.

I have an 2003 excel sheet where I have protected to allow users to edit
ranges,
it works fine in all computer where are running excel 2003, but in computers
where are running excel2000, it does not allow to write even if the field is
available to write then
appear the message that say:
The cell or chart you are trying to change is protected and therefore
read-only.

but message don't appear in Excel 2003

I have asked MIS to upgrade to office 2003, but if you know another option
to correct this issue, I will appreciate so much.

Thanks
LD--
Lorenzo DÃÂ*az
Cad Technician

--

Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben

why Excel2000 don't allow to write

I would say you have two options.

1. Get everyone upgraded.

2. Re-do the workbook in 2003 with features and functions that are available in
all versions.

The latter would mean doing away with the "Allow users to edit ranges" feature.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 17:12:02 -0800, ldiaz
wrote:

what do you reccomend me?

LD

Dave Peterson

why Excel2000 don't allow to write

And one more recommendation that may mean more work.

Create a macro that asks the user what should be changed and do all the
validation and changes in that macro. This could be a lot of work.

ldiaz wrote:

what do you reccomend me?

LD
--