-   -   Extracting data from one xls file and input into another xls file (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/117075-extracting-data-one-xls-file-input-into-another-xls-file.html)

trainerbro

Extracting data from one xls file and input into another xls file

I am trying to transfer the value of a single cell from one excel file to
another. I eventually would like to create a macro for it but I am only
using cell functions at this time. If anyone could help I would greatly
appreciate it.

mantros

Extracting data from one xls file and input into another xls file

It's easy to make, but if u r careless, u may have some problems later with
ur worksheet.

Anyway, let's do it. There's two basic ways. First the hardest way:
To link ur cell with a cell in other workbook (file) u must use the
following sintax (pay special atention to the quotes and to the exclamation
mark):
='[WORKBOOK_LOCATION\FILE_NAME.XLS]SHEET_NAME'!CELL

in an example, let's supose that i have a file named test1.xls in C:\ and I
want to link to the A1 cell in Plan1 sheet i would have the following
function:
='[C:\test1.xls]Plan1'!A1

not so hard, hum?

The easiest way is to open both workbooks (files) and in the destination
cell u type =. then, with ur mouse, u go and click on the other workbook
(file) that's already open and locate the desired cell and click once on it.
Excel should put the correct function for u... =P

Hope i've helped....