-   -   connecting to back end server (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/117007-connecting-back-end-server.html)

BW

connecting to back end server

I'm trying to set up an Excel front end that connects to an Access back end
on a server at work via MSQuery queries (also located on the server). It
works well as long as the server drive is mapped but gives a ODBC Microsoft
Access Driver Login Failed error if it is not mapped. All queries use the UNC
of the server, so it is not a drive letter issue (I've confirmed this by
changing the mapped drive letter and having no letter at all and it works
fine).
How can I fix this? Do I need to programmatically map the drive for other
users? If so, how? Is there a better way of going about this?

BW

connecting to back end server

The specific error message that comes up is "The Microsoft Jet database
engine cannot open the file '\\servername\folder\filename.mdb'. It is already
opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.