-   -   Chart formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/1165-chart-formatting.html)

Christopher Anderson

Chart formatting

Is there a way to shade certain areas of a line graph? I have a simple line
graph extending horizontally from point 1 to 10 on the x-axis. I would like
to shade the entire background area of the graph from points 2-4 and points
6-8. Is there a way to make the graph apear that the background is grayed
out between these points.

Thanks

Chris

Jon Peltier

Chris -

This has been sitting here a long time...

Make a combo chart. Start by locking the Y axis scale parameters (uncheck the auto
boxes). Add a series to your chart which has zero values where you want no shading
and <Y axis max where you do want shading. Change the series to a column chart
(select just the new series, then go to Chart menu, Chart Type). Double click the
new column series, on the Options tab set Gap Width to zero, and on the patterns
tab, set borders to none and area fill to the shade you want in your chart
background for these regions.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP