-   -   does an IF function only look up numbers & not text? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/116292-does-if-function-only-look-up-numbers-not-text.html)

CAPGirl

does an IF function only look up numbers & not text?

I am trying to calculate a forumula to show -- IF "yes" display 2, IF "no"
display 0.

I'm loosing my marbles over this simple function.

Patrick

does an IF function only look up numbers & not text?

try

if(A5="yes",2,0)
or
if(A5="yes",2,if(A5="no",0,""))

if you want text (2 or 0) to be displayed, put " (double quotes) around the
numbers.

good luck!

"CAPGirl" wrote:

I am trying to calculate a forumula to show -- IF "yes" display 2, IF "no"
display 0.

I'm loosing my marbles over this simple function.

CAPGirl

does an IF function only look up numbers & not text?

Patrick - thank you! I needed the double quotations!! Lifer for me today!!

Enjoy the remainder of your day!
Cheers!