-   -   file format not valid (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/11604-file-format-not-valid.html)

jeniflower

file format not valid

I have xl2000 - please - my boss opened one of my xl files in word - it has
tons of data - now i can't open it in xl anymore - HELP

Gord Dibben

Your boss most likely also saved it when in Word.

It would have defaulted to being saved in Word format.

Unless you have a recent backup the only solution would be to re-create the
layout in a new Workbook then try to salvage some of the data from the
saved-in-Word file by opening in Word and grabbing what you can to copy and
paste, if possible.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:25:03 -0800, "jeniflower"
wrote:

I have xl2000 - please - my boss opened one of my xl files in word - it has
tons of data - now i can't open it in xl anymore - HELP

Myrna Larson

AFter you've taken Gord's advice, tell your boss you expect to be paid
time-and-a-half for the time to recreate the file.