-   -   Opening Excel 2003 files in Excel 97 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/115172-opening-excel-2003-files-excel-97-a.html)

DBrownBear

Opening Excel 2003 files in Excel 97

I've found that Excel 2003 "tags" an Excel 97 file when it is opened (even
when no change is done to the file).

This is incredibly annoying when the Excel 97 file is shared with users who
still have Excel 97, where every time that opened file is "saved" the "This
is a later file version. Would you like to save it..." occurs.

I've found no workaround or way to defeat this alteration of the Excel 97
file by Excel 2003, other than by copy/pasting the entire file contents to a
fresh Excel 97 file. It's so serious a problem I've had to de-install Office
2003 and reverted to '97 and have directed my company to not upgrade it's
many installations to Office 2003.

Any suggestions? (PLEASE also copy me at ) if you have any
suggestions.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.