-   -   Cell format from CSV file (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/114815-cell-format-csv-file.html)

viktor

Cell format from CSV file

Hello,
I want to find how i can change the format of a column from general to
numeric in file obtained from an csv file(so i can use function like "sum").
Thank's

roadkill

Cell format from CSV file

I don't think the "general" format is the problem. If the format is general
and you type in numbers you should be able to use functions like "sum". I
suspect what's going on is your numbers were somehow put in as text. If this
is the case, you can probably fix things by:

1) Type the number 1 into an unused cell (make sure it's numeric or general
format before you type in the 1).
2) Select the cell with the 1 and copy it.
3) Do a "paste special" to all of the numeric cells that you want
interpretted as numbers and select "multiply".
4) Try your "sum" or other function again.

Will