-   -   table look ups (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/114775-table-look-ups.html)

Frances

table look ups

I have a table of data that I would like to use both the hlookup and vlookup
function at the same time to retrieve data. Column A is a listing of codes,
and my column headings consists of 4 sizes. How can I write a formula using
both a vlookup and hlookup at the same time? For example, in a spreadsheet,
if someone enters a code in one cell and a size in the adjouning cell, how
can the formula return correct value from the table of data?

Thank you

Biff

table look ups

See this screencap:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4141/lookuper2.jpg

Biff

"Frances" wrote in message
I have a table of data that I would like to use both the hlookup and
vlookup
function at the same time to retrieve data. Column A is a listing of
codes,
and my column headings consists of 4 sizes. How can I write a formula
using
both a vlookup and hlookup at the same time? For example, in a
spreadsheet,
if someone enters a code in one cell and a size in the adjouning cell, how
can the formula return correct value from the table of data?

Thank you

Ron Coderre

table look ups

Try something like this:

With
Data list in A1:E10
A2:A10 contains codes
B1:E1 contains sizes

F1: (a code to lookup)
G1: (a size to lookup)

This formula finds the code value of F1 in A1:A10 and returns the
corresponding value under the column headed by the size value in G1
H1: =VLOOKUP(F1,$A$1:$E$10,MATCH(G1,B1:$A$1:$E$1,0),0)

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Frances" wrote:

I have a table of data that I would like to use both the hlookup and vlookup
function at the same time to retrieve data. Column A is a listing of codes,
and my column headings consists of 4 sizes. How can I write a formula using
both a vlookup and hlookup at the same time? For example, in a spreadsheet,
if someone enters a code in one cell and a size in the adjouning cell, how
can the formula return correct value from the table of data?

Thank you

Frances

table look ups

THank you Ron. This works.

"Frances" wrote:

I have a table of data that I would like to use both the hlookup and vlookup
function at the same time to retrieve data. Column A is a listing of codes,
and my column headings consists of 4 sizes. How can I write a formula using
both a vlookup and hlookup at the same time? For example, in a spreadsheet,
if someone enters a code in one cell and a size in the adjouning cell, how
can the formula return correct value from the table of data?

Thank you

Frances

table look ups

Thanks Biff. This works.

"Frances" wrote in message
I have a table of data that I would like to use both the hlookup and
vlookup
function at the same time to retrieve data. Column A is a listing of
codes,
and my column headings consists of 4 sizes. How can I write a formula
using
both a vlookup and hlookup at the same time? For example, in a
spreadsheet,
if someone enters a code in one cell and a size in the adjouning cell, how
can the formula return correct value from the table of data?

Thank you

Biff

table look ups

You're welcome!