-   -   How do I combine tabulated data into a single column and list alphabetically? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/11477-how-do-i-combine-tabulated-data-into-single-column-list-alphabetically.html)

Kev Nurse

How do I combine tabulated data into a single column and list alphabetically?

Hi,
I have tabulated (grid) text strings (names) in cells in various columns and
rows with the occasional unavoidable blank cell in the grid. How do create
a single column of data (text strings) listed alphabetically? The icing on
the cake would be to eliminate any gaps created by the original grid such
that the column is unbroken.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Kev Nurse

Dave Peterson

To eliminate the empty cells.

select the column (one at a time)
edit|goto|special|blanks
rightclick on one of the select blanks
choose delete
shift cells up.
(repeat for each column)

===
Start a new worksheet
Copy each column after the last used cell in column A.
Sort your data (no need to remove the blanks, the sort will put them at the
bottom.)

--

Dave Peterson