-   -   Why can I not open an Excel Compound file with Office Excel xp? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/11475-why-can-i-not-open-excel-compound-file-office-excel-xp.html)

Wetcoast40

Why can I not open an Excel Compound file with Office Excel xp?

I receive Excel files via e-mail from my head office that can't be opened
with Office xp. As close as I can tell, these files are called "Compound
Excel Files". I can't find any explanation of what a Compound File is and
why I wouldn't be able to open it. In addition, when I notified the office,
they cut out the pertinent information segment of the file and re-sent it.
Surprisingly, I was able to open it. They claim they didn't change the
format or program.

Debra Dalgleish

There's information on compound documents in the following article:

Using a Dual File Format in Excel
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/as...381621033.aspx

--
Debra Dalgleish