-   -   limit lookup search to left three places (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/114583-limit-lookup-search-left-three-places.html)

Roger

limit lookup search to left three places

I need to do a look up based on the first three places in the reference cell

a1 is cda1428a I want the vlookup to return the data based on the cda only.

How do you do this?

Don Guillett

limit lookup search to left three places

more info

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"roger" wrote in message
I need to do a look up based on the first three places in the reference
cell

a1 is cda1428a I want the vlookup to return the data based on the cda
only.

How do you do this?

RagDyeR

limit lookup search to left three places

One way:

=VLOOKUP(LEFT(A1,3),B1:C25,2,0)

--

HTH,