-   -   advanced use of the Excel lookup function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/113949-advanced-use-excel-lookup-function.html)

Norm

advanced use of the Excel lookup function

when using the hlookup function how can I get the formating of the cell
located during the lookup to transfer to the destination cell.

thanks

Don Guillett

advanced use of the Excel lookup function

You can't. Formulas can only return values. You will need a macro to do this
use FIND to find the desired value and then use copy/paste SPECIAL.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Norm" wrote in message
when using the hlookup function how can I get the formating of the cell
located during the lookup to transfer to the destination cell.

thanks

hot dogs

advanced use of the Excel lookup function

you could try using conditional formatting (format/conditional formatting),
and have a different format for the cell with each different piece of data
that is entered into it, set the drop down table to formula is and write
='the result that will be entered', then set the format. Unfortunatly you can
only have 3 conditions per cell (4 if you count the original format). If you
only have 4 or less formats required but have more than 4 results, i.e. if
the cell is between 1 and 10 have a certain condition if it is between 11 and
20 have another, etc. Then you can achieve this by writing a formula that
covers the results required for each format.