-   -   Adding words up in a range (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/11388-adding-words-up-range.html)

Chris01623

Adding words up in a range

I have a word in a different cells on a row in my spreadsheet e.g.

Mon Tues Wed Thur Fri
Hoovering Nicola James
Washing up Steve Lisa

etc

I would like to know a formula that could add up the amount of names that
have been allocated for a certain task, and that would automatically change
if a name was added or taken away, so i can have a "total" column in a
different cell elsewhere in the spreadsheet telling me how many people there
are.

JulieD

Hi

use the COUNTIF function

assuming "Hoovering" is in A4 and you want to count the number of people the
formula would be
=COUNTIF(B4:F4,"<"&"")

Cheers
JulieD

"Chris01623" wrote in message
I have a word in a different cells on a row in my spreadsheet e.g.

Mon Tues Wed Thur Fri
Hoovering Nicola James
Washing up Steve Lisa

etc

I would like to know a formula that could add up the amount of names that
have been allocated for a certain task, and that would automatically
change
if a name was added or taken away, so i can have a "total" column in a
different cell elsewhere in the spreadsheet telling me how many people
there
are.

Jason Morin

What is hoovering? Try using COUNTA. For example:

=COUNTA(B2:F2)

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

I have a word in a different cells on a row in my

spreadsheet e.g.

Mon Tues Wed Thur

Fri
Hoovering Nicola James
Washing up

Steve Lisa

etc

I would like to know a formula that could add up the

amount of names that
have been allocated for a certain task, and that would

automatically change
if a name was added or taken away, so i can have

a "total" column in a
different cell elsewhere in the spreadsheet telling me

how many people there
are.
.

Peo Sjoblom