Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Hyperlink doesn't open Word doc the same way as Word does

I set up a hyperlink in Excel that points to a Word Doc, the only problem is
that is doesn't open up it up the same way as just double clicking on the
file itself or opening it up in Word.

How you ask?

Well, I have a large contact list and each file goes to a certain
pre-selected contact which is saved that way. When I open up the file from
within Word or double click the file itself, the recipient's name shows (the
email toolbar button is selected automatically), but when I click on the
Hyperlink in Excel, the Word doc opens up without the email button selected
by default and without the recipients name there. This forces me to then
click on the email button to bring this information up.

Anyone know of a way to have the email information automatically selected
when opening up a hyperlink in Excel to a Word doc?

Does Excel have a way of using shortcuts instead? Maybe a shorcut to a Word
Doc will open it in up the same way as Word will.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default These are thoughts from an Expert Word user. Can any Excel pros ex

I think you'd need to create buttons linked to macro code that opens the
documents. It would be best to start on this from an Excel newsgroup
(excel.programming), as they can tell you which buttons are best to use and
how
to assign a macro to them.

Ideally, you'd use the same macro for each button. There'd be something about
the button (the caption, or a "tag") you can use to identify which button /
document has been clicked. The macro can check this, then open the correct
document. So you should also mention you need to know this.

The Excel folks may also be able to give you the code to open the Word
documents. If not, you can ask in a word.vba newsgroup for the "finishing
touches".